day trip

Posted: 15 Sep, 2011 03:21 PM  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  4

Is there a day trip that I could take to see a nearby city or village ? Preferably by train or boat.

Posted: 15 Sep, 2011 06:28 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93

Welcome to the forums, Tina!

Here are three ideas for a day trip:

Szentendre, a small town of art and culture with many museums and galleries is just outside of Budapest. It’s one of the most favored out-of-town destinations. You can get there by boat or by the suburban railway, called HÉV. You’ll find more info on our Szentendre page.

Esztergom, the seat of the Hungarian Catholic Church, is one of the oldest towns in Hungary with many historic sights. The Basilica of Esztergom, being one of them, is the third largest church in Europe and worth a visit. You can take the hydrofoil, a boat or the train. Detailed info is available on our Esztergom page.

Another favorite day trip destination is the Danube Bend. Its a beautiful part of Hungary and is best discovered by boat. There’s more info on our Danube Bend page.

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you had any other questions.

Signature 

Posted: 16 Sep, 2011 03:39 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  4

Thanks for the quick response! Great ideas. Looking forward to my trip smile

Posted: 3 May, 2012 10:48 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  2

Hi guys,

I’m planning to visit Budapest this month. Apart from the lovely city, I am also planning to go to the Balaton lake.

Could you please, also advise on the best town worth visiting on the lake, as well as what’s the best transport to go there from Budapest.

Thanks!
Konstantin

Posted: 3 May, 2012 08:17 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank

Welcome to the forums Konstantin,

For a Balaton excursion I would suggest visiting the hilly north shore. The scenery is wonderful with panoramic views of the lake. Attractions that stand out include Balatonfüred, a charming bathing town, Tihany, a historic village known for its Benedictine Abbey (founded in 1055), the Baracsony Hill, one of Hungary’s great wine regions and Keszthely, a Baroque-style town with a castle dating back to 1745.

If you are looking to hit the beach, many of them are already open (they operate May through October). The water is warmer and shallower on the south shore and deeper and somewhat cooler on the north. There are popular beaches all around the lake. See our Balaton page for more info.

The best way to get to Lake Balaton is by train. Most trains depart from Déli Pályaudvar and the ride takes about three hours. Another option is to take a personalized tour with a local guide. MypersonalBudapest offers Lake Balaton day trips from Budapest, including wine tasting, sightseeing, meals and more. Tours can be customized to your wishes.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip and let me know if you had any other questions.

Signature 

Posted: 3 May, 2012 10:52 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  2

Thank you very much for the prompt response!

Posted: 7 Oct, 2012 11:32 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  8

I learned that Budapest were 2 great cities before that were united as one. Heard that the Buda part is a laid back place while Pest is more on the fast side where bars and pubs are located - I would just like to know, between the 2, which is a more “must see” place? Will I be able to tour Budapest in a matter of 1 week?

Many thanks in advance for any info provided.

Posted: 10 Oct, 2012 04:56 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank

Welcome to the forums, ricom27!

Budapest is a great ‘walking city’ and many of the city’s attractions can be reached on foot. Buda is home to the former Royal Palace and both, Castle Hill and Gellért Hill offer magnificent views. The main sights in Buda are located on and around Castle Hill. A good way to explore the Castle District is by taking a walking tour.

In Pest, most of the attractions can be found between the Danube and the Grand Boulevard. This is where the Parliament Building, the Opera House, the Basilica, the Great Synagogue, the Danube Promenade, Váci utca and the Central Market Hall are located. Again, a good way to explore this part of the city is via a walking tour. Pest is also home to a number of restaurants, cafés and nightlife. You should be able to tour most sights in Buda and Pest during a week.

Enjoy Budapest!

Signature 

Posted: 21 Oct, 2012 05:06 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  8

Sounds great! Seems very interesting. Thanks for the info Roberta! smile

Posted: 23 Dec, 2013 12:53 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  1

The best hotels, the best restaurants, the coolest bars and the sights really worth seeing.

Login or Register to participate in the Budapest travel forums.

Atom Feed
RSS 2.0