Question about thermal baths

Posted: 26 Apr, 2011 12:05 AM  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  1

Which is the best thermal bath in Budapest?

Posted: 26 Apr, 2011 05:23 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93

Welcome to the forums, Natalie!

The most popular thermal baths among visitors are Gellért and Széchenyi. Both offer indoor and outdoor pools, steam baths, saunas and a variety of massages. If you only have time to visit one of the baths while in Budapest, I would recommend Széchenyi, as it’s the biggest thermal bath in the city and it will provide a more complete bath-experience.

And if you are looking for something unique, Budapest is also one of the few cities where traditional and original Turkish baths can be found. One of the oldest, Veli Bej, is scheduled to reopen this month, after being beautifully restored.

Enjoy your stay and let me know if you had any other questions.

Signature 

Posted: 16 Nov, 2012 04:02 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  8

Are thermal baths pricey? Do you have any idea how much this would cost?

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers! smile

Posted: 17 Nov, 2012 11:14 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank

Prices are affordable – for instance, at Gellért Baths a day pass with a locker costs HUF 4,100 (about EUR 15 / USD 18) during the week and HUF 4,300 on the weekends. At Széchenyi a day pass is HUF 3,400 during the week and HUF 3,550 on the weekends.

Signature 

Posted: 19 Nov, 2012 12:42 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  6

Hi!

What is the normal thermal bath/sauna etiquette in regards to dress, etc?  I can’t seem to find a lot of information about this online.

Posted: 20 Nov, 2012 11:40 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank

Welcome to the forums, vanillarama!

Thermal baths in Budapest are either coed, like Széchenyi Baths, Király Baths, Veli Bej and Lukács Baths, partially coed, like Gellért Baths, offering women- and men-only sections, along with coed facilities, or have single sex days, like Rudas Baths, which has women-only and men-only days. Although most people wear bathing suits, in the women- and men-only facilities (and on single sex days) clothing is optional and some people put on only a vestige of cover. By clicking on any of the baths listed above you’ll find additional info along with price, opening hours, clothing etiquette and some useful tips.

Enjoy Budapest!

Signature 

Posted: 20 Nov, 2012 10:31 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Picture of
Rank

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for all the information on the baths. 

One thing- in regards to the saunas, are they separate for men and women, and if they are coed, are the saunas clothing-optional?

Sorry to press the point- I just enjoy getting naked in saunas… but I don’t want to make some sort of embarrassing mistake smile

SO looking forward to our trip!!!

Posted: 21 Nov, 2012 08:05 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank

In that case you’ll love the sauna at Gellért Baths. They have separate mens’ and womens’ saunas and steam rooms where clothing is optional. The saunas at Széchenyi and Veli Bej are coed and bathing suits are required. On single sex days clothing is optional at Rudas too.

Enjoy Budapest!

Signature 

Posted: 22 Nov, 2012 11:47 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Picture of
Rank

Thank you!!!

Login or Register to participate in the Budapest travel forums.

Atom Feed
RSS 2.0