Do Hungarians speak English?

Posted: 10 Apr, 2010 03:26 AM  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  93

English is widely spoken in Budapest but not in the countryside.

Signature 

Posted: 29 May, 2010 11:34 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1

I’d disagree with Roberta on that.
There are quite a few people speaking English - especially the younger folks - in all major cities, like Debrecen, Szeged, Pecs, Gyor… just to name a few.
There is no doubt that almost in any hotel which caters to foreign visitors you can easily get along in English.
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of restaurants outside of Budapest where you could get the menu in English.
You might run into some difficulties if you get lost in the rural area and you want to rely solely on verbal information in English. But hey, that’s what universal body language was invented for! If someone points to the left, it pretty much has the same meaning in any language on Earth.
Hungarians are helpful to foreign visitors even if there is some language gap. They’d try to put you in the right direction anyway. Once you are in an urban area, you’ll easily find someone who speaks English.

Posted: 31 Oct, 2012 09:53 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  8

Well, I think it will be safe to have an English - Hungarian dictionary always handy just in case. :D

Posted: 6 May, 2013 01:38 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Picture of
Rank
Total Posts:  2

The last comment of the person is very WISE. Because my personal experience with three times being in Budapest &  Pest & other cities is that, you have big time trouble with the language gap. Nobody seems to be able to help me in the bank, in hostels, at the train office, real-estate agents &  clerks, dentists, lawyers and the mobile phone company. Really,  I am not kidding here.
I really think, if you want to stay longterm, the first thing you have to do is trying to master the language, otherwise you will be in trouble big time. I myself have put learning the language   as my first priority. And I am not even going to stay here longterm.

Login or Register to participate in the Budapest travel forums.

Atom Feed
RSS 2.0