Don’t let rain ruin your stay in Budapest. Luckily, there are plenty of indoor activities that will keep you out of the rain. Here are some ideas for a rainy day in Budapest, categorized by interest.
Art, Culture & History
- Tour the Opera House and enjoy an opera performance. Rainy Saturdays, and Sundays are the time to catch a mid-day matinee performance.
- Visit the Hungarian National Gallery in the Royal Palace and learn about great Hungarian masters and their works.
- Spend a few hours at the Museum of Fine Arts and surround yourself with European art history, paintings and sculptures.
- Visit the Palace of Arts, Budapest's new cultural hub. Check out the contemporary art collection at the Ludwig Museum, book a free guided tour to learn more about the building and its architecture or stay for a performance.
- Tour the Parliament building and view the Hungarian Crown Jewels.
- Visit the House of Terror Museum to learn about how Fascism and Communism affected Hungary.
Food & Wine
- Take a Hungarian cooking course. Not only will you learn to cook Hungarian, it’s also a great way to meet fellow travelers and make new friends.
- Explore Central Market Hall and try some traditional Hungarian food.
- Enjoy wine tasting at the House of Hungarian Wines, where you can ‘sample’ the country's 22 wine regions.
- Learn everything about Unicum, the famous Hungarian digestive, at the Zwack Museum. Tasting included.
- Visit the Palace of Miracles, a science museum for kids.
- Get wet at Aquaworld, one of Europe’s largest indoor water theme parks.
- Visit the Hungarian Natural History Museum, which offers interactive exhibitions designed for children.
- Explore the caves and cellars beneath Castle Hill at the Labyrinth or at the Hospital in the Rock Museum.
- Exhibitions at the Museum of Transport will keep your kids entertained.
Unwind & Relax
- Visit one of Budapest’s famous thermal baths. Take a dip in the healing waters and spoil yourself with a refreshing massage.
- Find a window seat in one of the many cafés, order a warm beverage and some pastries and hook up to a WiFi connection to update your Facebook profile and retweet your favorite Budapest Moments.
- Visit a health club and keep up with your fitness regimen.
Get some shopping done.